top of page

Relevant Links 

Download the Government Guide on Home Education here

De-registration template letter

Accurate at 1st January 2021

The Law on Homeschooling in the UK

This information has been taken from the Gov.UK website & was accurate when last checked on the 1.1.21

You can teach your child at home, either full or part-time. This is called home education (sometimes ‘elective home education’ or ‘home schooling’).

You can get help with home education from your local council.

If your child is currently at school, you should tell the school if you plan to educate them at home. The school must accept if you’re taking your child out completely. They can refuse if you want to send your child to school some of the time.

If your child is attending school because of a school attendance order, you must get permission from your local council before you can educate them at home.

Education quality and curriculum

Your rights

You must make sure your child receives a full-time education from the age of 5, but you do not have to follow the national curriculum.

The council can make an ‘informal enquiry’ to check your child is getting a suitable education at home. They can serve a school attendance order if they think your child needs to be taught at school.

If your child has special educational needs (SEN)

We can take no responsibility for any legal changes within home elective education. Please visit the to ensure you are fully within your rights. 

If your child has SEN and attends a special school, you’ll need to get the council’s permission to educate them at home. You do not need the council’s permission if your child attends a mainstream school, even if they have an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

bottom of page